Monday, January 3, 2011

The Difference

On quick count, I have 8439 music files on my computer.  Assuming ~ 12 songs per album, that would leave me with the equivalent of over 700 albums.  However, a lot of this music is "stuff".  Just music I got from shared network folders in college because I could.  I don't think of it as a collection. I might consider 30 to 40% of the music on my computer in my collection; real music I care about that represents me in some way.

Doug had 800 albums and 400 45s.  Actual physical things for which he spent his hard earned money.  And judging by the wear and tear, music that he listened to over and over, probably while hosting a party.

I can't even guess how many songs on my computer I've never listened to, or will never listen to again.  Most.

I do have my own record collection going, separate from what I'm doing here.  It mostly consists of newer indie rock.  I only buy music on vinyl that I know I really enjoy.  This is music I can just sit and listen to, without distraction.  I think I'll post my own record collection as a page in this blog soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment